Monday, January 14, 2013

Upcycling Laminate Particleboard Furniture



I bought two of these cabinets off Craig's List to use as closets in my former space.  After reading instructions on how to paint faux wood particleboard furniture; I decided it wasn't worth the time and expense to refinish them. I ended up using the front of the cabinet doors for my idea center, a place to tape projects I was working on, inspirational pictures, color swatches, etc.  And each time I removed anything I had taped on the doors, a piece of the laminate came off.  Ugly! OK. :) 

I didn't have room for the cabinets when I moved, so I gave one to Ms. N and one to Ms. E & Mr. M.  I was so surprised to see the transformation Mr. M made to this cabinet.  It was hard to believe it was my old faux wood particleboard cabinet with pieces of laminate missing!

Below "are a few photos".



Mr. M lightly sanded the cabinet-
you can still see the missing laminate :)


 metallic Rust-oleum was used to paint the cabinet



new modern hardware was purchased from Home Depot
this upcycled cabinet is now in Ms. E & Mr. M's
laundry room- it's a nice compliment to their
energy-efficient stainless washer & dryer
With a little bit of sanding and the right paint, you can give new life to laminate particleboard furniture.
                                                

                                                                                  
photos by:  Ms. E and eve






No comments:

Post a Comment