Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Mix Media Art - "Shoulders"



"Shoulders"



Have you ever found something you like and for no apparent reason you save it?  And...days, months or years later, you find it's just what you need!   

Well, I ran aross this picture a couple of years ago and saved it.  Don't remember where I got it from - calendar, maybe?  The original artwork is signed 90' Saint James.  I thought, one day I'll experiment and make this picture using fabric.  It seemed like it would be easy because the figures were large and solid.




Below is my interpertation of the above artwork:


I made an enlarged copy of the original artwork.  My intention was to use primary colors like the original artist.  I even bought the primary color fabrics.  But, once I started the piece, I switched to black and white without even considering why.  

I used black textiles of different textures and shades; and handpainted fabric to create the grey hue.  A nubby white fabric was used for the dress.   Newspaper glued to muslin, using Yes glue, created the foundation.  I machine stitched  the pieces of fabrics to the foundation. 

This was my first time attempt to, as I call it, "paint with fabric".  I made several mistakes in the process.  When people admire my piece, I immediately point out my mistakes - but they dismiss them, they don't really care.  So, I'm learning to dismiss them too!  I'm please with my interpretation.

After I finished this piece - it reminded me of the people that came before me; whose shoulders I stand on today.  So I named it "SHOULDERS"  







Photos by: eve



No comments:

Post a Comment