Monday, September 24, 2012

On the curb in Venice, CA



After leaving a babyshower Sunday afternoonr in Venice, I spotted this chair someone had put out on the curb.  Ooh Yea!

This was my first time visiting the residental neighborhood of Venice.  Surprised to see it.  It's very nice, I would live there in a heartbeat.  My association with the City has always been weekend walks on the boardwalk :) 

I love my new chair!  It's a diamond in the rough!  Below "are a few photos" from my curbside find:



                                                                                                


Pretty impressive ugh?

This chair is very sturdy, there's a little damage to the cane seat, but overall it's a good looking chair, in good condition, with lots of hand crafted details.


***


I cleaned the chair using Method wood floor cleaner (because I already had it).I sprayed a disinfected to the under side of the chair; and used a dry paint brush to clean the crevices.

I applied one coat of Watco Danish Oil for the cane seat and will apply another coat when it dries.  I've already applied 2 coats of Minwax - classic back satin - stain & polyurethne in 1 step. I think one additional coat will do it.





This is my first attempt at refinishing furniture.  This project was easy -  I still have to apply one more coat of stain to the seat and to the chair.  It takes a while for each coat to dry.

Because I used stain, the parts of the chair that were sanded are lighter - some people like the effect - umm, I'm borderline.  But overall I am pleased with the results.
RECYCLE! REUSE! REPURPOSE!

photos by:  eve

No comments:

Post a Comment